Thursday, February 7, 2013

Focus

We know what it is.
But do we do it?

I’m betting that most, if not all of you have heard these words:
“These are the three things I’d like you to focus on for the next couple days...”

Excuse me?
I'm not sure that works.

I spent some extra time with an athlete the other day.
I gave her some "pointers" if you will.
"Put your hand in this way."
"Pull just a bit deeper."
"Accelerate out the back end."
"Keep your core tight."
"Be strong finger tip to finger tip."

She pushed-off and swam a 25.
I stepped back and wondered whether or not I had lost my touch.
She looked worse!

I reiterated my instructions.
She pushed-off.
I just shook my head.
My thought, ouch, this is not good.

I changed my approach.
"Let's work on the depth of the pull only."
She pushed-off.
WA-LAH, I'm a genius.

Focus on the hand, the pitch, the core, 

the acceleration and the depth - not so good results.
Focus on one thing at a time - much better results.

Guess we learned our lesson.

Are you focusing on too many things?

Take Care,
+Coach Curley

No comments:

Post a Comment